Discover and share stories

of adventure, connection, and change making.

34 people think this is good

Look Up. “I Have 422 Friends But I’m Completely Alone.”

Drew Ocon

We live in a world where we continue to find ways to make it easier for us to connect with one another, but that results in us spending more time alone. He has 422 friends, but he's completely alone.

"We're surrounded by children, who since they were born, have watched us living like robots, and think it's the norm," might be the most powerful portion of Turk's video. What are we doing to future generations when we insist on occupying them with screens?

Continue to youtube.com

Inappropriate?

Discuss

1. {{attachment.file.name}}
  1. {{fields.video_link.url}}

Ready to post! You’ve uploaded the maximum number of images.

Your video is ready to post!

Oops! Nice pic, but it’s just not our (file) type. Please try uploading a .jpg or .png image.

Well, this is embarrassing. Something went wrong when posting your comment. Care to try again?

That image is too large. Maximum size is 6MB.

Please enter a valid URL from YouTube or Vimeo.

Embedding has been disabled for this video.

{{c.errors.other}}

Posting comment...

• Alessandra Rizzotti

I loved reading his story. Just seeing how his brain was rewired within a few months was cool: "I wrote in August, "It's the boredom and lack of stimulation that drives me to do things I really care about, like writing and spending time with others." I was pretty sure I had it all figured out, and told everyone as much.

As my head uncluttered, my attention span expanded. In my first month or two, 10 pages of The Odyssey was a slog. Now I can read 100 pages in a sitting, or, if the prose is easy and I'm really enthralled, a few hundred."

Something to be said about how the internet blends with reality- and how it actually connects us more.

• Kristin Pedemonti

Excellent. It saddens me so much when I go out to a pub or restaurant or concert and see most people more glued to their screens that the people physically present with them. Indeed, time to Look Up.

• Adam Fogle

This is so good I'm gonna go read a book instead of thinking of a pithy comment to write here.