Discover and share stories

of adventure, connection, and change making.

31 people think this is good

Would you drop out of college for $100,000?

Emily Howard

The Thiel Fellowship gives young adults $50,000 a year for two years to do anything but be in college. The fellows, who can't be older than 20 when they apply, are diving head first into the real world and focusing on personal projects ranging from creating low cost solar panels in Africa to working in Silicon Valley.

Continue to nytimes.com

Inappropriate?

Discuss

1. {{attachment.file.name}}
  1. {{fields.video_link.url}}

Ready to post! You’ve uploaded the maximum number of images.

Your video is ready to post!

Oops! Nice pic, but it’s just not our (file) type. Please try uploading a .jpg or .png image.

Well, this is embarrassing. Something went wrong when posting your comment. Care to try again?

That image is too large. Maximum size is 6MB.

Please enter a valid URL from YouTube or Vimeo.

Embedding has been disabled for this video.

{{c.errors.other}}

Posting comment...

• Andrew Kurcan

I would have loved such an opportunity :) Bravo!

• Jamie Nash

Wow, I wish someone would have given me this kind of money to drop out and do something truly worthwhile. This is awesome! I'm actually really jealous. It reminds me of the old question, "What would you do if you knew you could not fail?"

• Andrew Reynolds

When I traveled abroad, I was shocked to learn that so many teenagers around the world don't see college as a necessity for personal or professional development, but they see experience as the key. Glad to see a program out there that gives people other options.

• cwisener

Nice. Giving young people the opportunity to work and grow before college can allow them to make better career choices.