Discover and share stories

of adventure, connection, and change making.

11 people think this is good

Discuss

1. {{attachment.file.name}}
  1. {{fields.video_link.url}}

Ready to post! You’ve uploaded the maximum number of images.

Your video is ready to post!

Oops! Nice pic, but it’s just not our (file) type. Please try uploading a .jpg or .png image.

Well, this is embarrassing. Something went wrong when posting your comment. Care to try again?

That image is too large. Maximum size is 6MB.

Please enter a valid URL from YouTube or Vimeo.

Embedding has been disabled for this video.

{{c.errors.other}}

Posting comment...

• Paris Marron

Really interesting. I totally agree that things like Lego's and doctors kits should be gender neutral.

I'm curious what people think of Goldie Blocks, which has gotten quite a bit of coverage in past year or two. The pink and purple kit is used to encourage more girls to go into Engineering fields, where they are severely underrepresented. That goal is lofty great. And I suppose the creator is fighting the marketing and product placement (on the boys aisle) of other engineering type toys (lincoln logs, legos, etc.), but is it just further embracing gender stereotypes by choosing pink and purple and marketing to girls?

• WomenYSK

Thanks so much for your comment Paris. Within the girls empowerment groups that we've come to know, there is a lot of controversy surrounding GoldieBlox, particularly one of their new sets which features what they are calling a "pageant". There's a lot of great analysis out there, here's a link to one piece written on the topic you may find interesting... http://pigtailpalsblog.com/?s=goldieblox

• Alessandra Rizzotti

I love that she brings the point up that more and more toys are gender-segmented. Her ad is almost more relevant now than it was then.

• WomenYSK

We couldn't agree more!