Discover and share stories

of adventure, connection, and change making.

35 people think this is good

Discuss

1. {{attachment.file.name}}
  1. {{fields.video_link.url}}

Ready to post! You’ve uploaded the maximum number of images.

Your video is ready to post!

Oops! Nice pic, but it’s just not our (file) type. Please try uploading a .jpg or .png image.

Well, this is embarrassing. Something went wrong when posting your comment. Care to try again?

That image is too large. Maximum size is 6MB.

Please enter a valid URL from YouTube or Vimeo.

Embedding has been disabled for this video.

{{c.errors.other}}

Posting comment...

• Paul Miller

So what type of teachers do we want? Where I am from, the British government seem to want ones with high level degrees, higher levels of maths and english than previously and that can be qualified to do the job in a matter of months with on the job training. Are these the right priorities? I am sure they would say they are just the start but the government here in the UK through the policies of Michael Gove believe that the present problem of education and the future of our country will be solved with employing methodologies succesful in the past. Seemingly ignoring the changing world that we now live in and that schools like any organisation need to be fit for purpose i.e. producing students for beyond 2012, not for 1950.
    Please read my blog on similar topics: http://wiifme.blogspot.co.uk/

• EvanLewis11

Love this website and this article in particular. Scary to imagine the chaos that must take place in an 80 student class in CAR - let's hope the UN finds a sustainable solution for getting strong educators to Africa.

I'm currently working on a start-up that hopes to discover the next generation of teachers. We call them eProfs - give eProf.com a look if you are interested.

• Liz Dwyer

Absolutely--80 students in one classroom is a pretty scary prospect anywhere, especially when we know that a more highly personalized learning experience is what works. Thanks for sharing, Evan.

• William Garzon

In Colombia-South America we want to take our kids out of violence, but there is not many resources and the government has been forgetting the real needs of indigenous in Colombia