Discover and share stories

of adventure, connection, and change making.

42 people think this is good

Discuss

1. {{attachment.file.name}}
  1. {{fields.video_link.url}}

Ready to post! You’ve uploaded the maximum number of images.

Your video is ready to post!

Oops! Nice pic, but it’s just not our (file) type. Please try uploading a .jpg or .png image.

Well, this is embarrassing. Something went wrong when posting your comment. Care to try again?

That image is too large. Maximum size is 6MB.

Please enter a valid URL from YouTube or Vimeo.

Embedding has been disabled for this video.

{{c.errors.other}}

Posting comment...

• N Beck

I love this. I think it's so important to develop a new identity and to make small, baby steps in order to reach everlasting change. I see this all the time with myself. I find it also really important to break down complex tasks into simpler ones. Doable ones. I meditate five minutes every day; I specifically keep it at five minutes because I KNOW I'll do that. It's just five minutes, right before bed. And I know that after doing that for awhile, I'll slowly be able to build to longer. Maybe once a week or something. This is really how I tackle any habit or goal: start small, work your way up. Develop a new identity (I am a meditator!). Great article.

• Jam Min

Well that's a whole new way of looking at the day, thanks.

• Megz.OBlenis

the book that changed my perception of myself and others and how I live my life and I have recommended this book over and over again, it is the most amazing read ever!! called Feeling Good by Dr, Burns, one of the best choices you will ever make in your life :)

• Tara Tiger Brown

My husband bought me that book, it was recommended by Cory Doctorow.

• AirP

This reminds me of something from John Berger's 'Ways of Seeing' (paraphrased):
    When a man gets angry and throws a glass, that is taken as an expression of his anger. When a woman gets angry and throws a glass, it's not taken as JUST an expression of her anger, it's also an expression of how she treats the angry person within (aka, she's showing us that she thinks of herself as the KIND OF PERSON who throws a glass when angry).

The point Berger makes is that woman's experience involves an extra layer of self-consciousness...

• Alessandra Rizzotti

What I think really helps in changing behavior is not just altering your activities- but also deconstructing the intentions behind your beliefs about yourself. So- why do you feel bad about the certain aspects of your life? It's not just that you don't exercise enough- or you don't write enough- you have to think about what are the beliefs about yourself that are holding you back.

• Why not?

Why's aren't important to start change. He is right on track with actions and baby steps. I can't think myself into right action but I can act myself into right thinking.