Discover and share stories

of adventure, connection, and change making.

30 people think this is good

1. {{}}
  1. {{fields.video_link.url}}

Ready to post! You’ve uploaded the maximum number of images.

Your video is ready to post!

Oops! Nice pic, but it’s just not our (file) type. Please try uploading a .jpg or .png image.

Well, this is embarrassing. Something went wrong when posting your comment. Care to try again?

That image is too large. Maximum size is 6MB.

Please enter a valid URL from YouTube or Vimeo.

Embedding has been disabled for this video.

Posting comment...

• Joel Arquillos

Thank you for your support, Valerie. I'm happy to hear you're getting inspired, too!

• Valerie C

Love this, shared this. I volunteer at 826LA as often as I can -- which unfortunately, isn't as often as I'd like! -- and the students never fail to inspire me with their enthusiastic, pure spirit. Stepping into the 826 classroom is always a breath of fresh air.

• Joel Arquillos

Thanks for the comments. I hope it's apparent that "tricking" kids is my cheeky way of saying we try to demystify the pressure and avoidance that kicks in when students are presented with a challenging task. What's also good to note is that we don't ever call the writing the students do "work." Instead, it's the thing everybody needs to do when they step into a publishing house. It's the norm!

• Alessandra Rizzotti

Awesome. Love that kids don't feel pressure to write at 826!

• Liz Dwyer

Too many kids hate writing because it's just writing a three-paragraph essay on a district writing prompt or as a homework assignment that they feel disconnected from, so thank you for "tricking" them into realizing that writing is fun. Loved hearing from the students--now I want to go play hide and seek!

• Alessandra Rizzotti

These stories really show how these kids need play in their lives, for their education. Love their insight, and it's fun to see their POV.