Discover and share stories

of adventure, connection, and change making.

5 people think this is good

Empathy 101: Cognitive, Emotional, and Concern.

Angela Holtzen

Cognitive, Emotional, and Concern. What is the difference, and where are they best applied?

Daniel Goleman looks at three types of empathy that leaders, teachers, and parents should have.
“I like to understand how people see the world,” A CEO tells me. “It’s always different for each person. I’m fascinated by the ways people think about things, what’s important to them, how they put their world together.”

Continue to

1. {{}}
  1. {{fields.video_link.url}}

Ready to post! You’ve uploaded the maximum number of images.

Your video is ready to post!

Oops! Nice pic, but it’s just not our (file) type. Please try uploading a .jpg or .png image.

Well, this is embarrassing. Something went wrong when posting your comment. Care to try again?

That image is too large. Maximum size is 6MB.

Please enter a valid URL from YouTube or Vimeo.

Embedding has been disabled for this video.

Posting comment...

• Alessandra Rizzotti

Great point. "In the classroom you see empathic concern when a teacher creates a similar atmosphere and students feel free to let their curiosity roam freely.

Which kind of empathy should a leader, a teacher, or a parent have? All three."

I think cognitive empathy is one of the most fascinating things and it's a shame that some people are never born with it. It's interesting how we can rewire our brain to increase dopamine levels, but I wonder if we can ever rewire it to be able to have cognitive empathy?

• Angela Holtzen

Yeah that would be an interesting try, anything is possible. I know I have changed a lot in three years just by meditating, my readings, which have reshaped my thought process or at sometimes, non thought process, hahah

• Alessandra Rizzotti

But don't you think it's hard to know what others are thinking in regards to cognitive empathy? I tend to read faces or tone of voice to understand what others are thinking, but I know not all people- especially those with autism, can do this.

• Angela Holtzen

I actually have really good intuition, I actually find myself know things about people they don't even know about themselves, like insecurities and things. I think it is just an ability some people have. Meditation, psychic sense, all comes to me really natural. I just got to an age I realized not many others have that skill but growing up I thought it was normal. Yes, with kids with autism you need to be very direct and teach them to communicate different and ask how someone is feeling. I feel like it is something you can only learn to a certain point the rest is being born with it, like being and artist, technical lessons can only get you so far. An artist has to be able to channel emotions, which can be hard for some. :)