Discover and share stories

of adventure, connection, and change making.

44 people think this is good

Discuss

1. {{attachment.file.name}}
  1. {{fields.video_link.url}}

Ready to post! You’ve uploaded the maximum number of images.

Your video is ready to post!

Oops! Nice pic, but it’s just not our (file) type. Please try uploading a .jpg or .png image.

Well, this is embarrassing. Something went wrong when posting your comment. Care to try again?

That image is too large. Maximum size is 6MB.

Please enter a valid URL from YouTube or Vimeo.

Embedding has been disabled for this video.

{{c.errors.other}}

Posting comment...

• Monica Snellings

Michelle - I would be happy to share my experiences with the SVA Master's program!

I am busy doing research this summer on my thesis project which—no surprise—addresses the transition from work to retirement and the opportunities for personal growth, purpose and meaning. The statistic that really got me thinking—In America half the children born in 2007 will live to the age of 104. I think as a culture we need to re-imagine a whole new arc to life.

Send me an invite through LinkedIn and we can set up a time to talk.

• Michelle Hobbs

Monica - I so enjoyed this and am seriously considering the SVA Master's program. Would you be interested in sharing your experience with me and, if so, is there a way I can get in touch with you? Here is my LinkedIn profile: www.linkedin.com/in/michellebhobbs/ Thanks!

• Sara Cornish

In this weekend's NY Times:

"The most common image of an innovator is that of a kid developing a great idea in a garage, a dorm room or a makeshift office ... According to research by Alex Mesoudi of Durham University in England, the age of eventual Nobel Prize winners when making a discovery, and of inventors when making a significant breakthrough, averaged around 38 in 2000, an increase of about six years since 1900.

But there is another reason to keep innovators around longer: the time it takes between the birth of an idea and when its implications are broadly understood and acted upon. This education process is typically driven by the innovators themselves."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/31/jobs/why-innovators-get-better-with-age.html?smid=tw-share

How do we incentivize or draw experienced older innovators into socially meaningful work? Tax incentives? Faster employee rotation? Cheers!

• Jennifer Jilks

What I find insulting is the final sentence: "Oh, and if you were born after 1980 please consider forwarding this to your parents. " Both my parents are dead. My late mother learned to use a computer at age 55 for her work. As did most of my generation. I know many 90-somethings in long-term care, where I volunteer, who use the computer, play Wii, use cell phones. Seniors and computers - did you know we're delayed? http://bit.ly/11G0eiw

• Scott Sheperd

Why are you insulted? Are you looking to be insulted? She was just saying, in my opinion, if you are younger than the age I am speaking of tell your parents who are probably in this age range to read the article and perhaps get involved if they already aren't.