Discover and share stories

of adventure, connection, and change making.

156 people think this is good

Discuss

1. {{attachment.file.name}}
  1. {{fields.video_link.url}}

Ready to post! You’ve uploaded the maximum number of images.

Your video is ready to post!

Oops! Nice pic, but it’s just not our (file) type. Please try uploading a .jpg or .png image.

Well, this is embarrassing. Something went wrong when posting your comment. Care to try again?

That image is too large. Maximum size is 6MB.

Please enter a valid URL from YouTube or Vimeo.

Embedding has been disabled for this video.

{{c.errors.other}}

Posting comment...

• Mr. McIntosh

I know this article was posted some time ago, I am new to Good, so as soon as I read it I felt compelled to comment.

I am formally trained in IT so have touched upon subjects like handling information, graphics and coding.

Over the last few years a few of the above organizations have had a significant impact on my transition from a quality inspector for mobile tech to graphic/web designer which is my passion.

Offering 24/7 *free access across many platforms allow organizations like Ted/Ted Ed, Code academy and even new ones like luminosity, smarterer and Khan academy to enrich peoples lives with knowledge and testing that really works.

They have helped me to dig a little deeper into some relevant subjects by sparking curiosity or refreshing some old knowledge. I suppose being so damn addictive cant hurt either!

I also have children so a raspberry pi purchase is on the cards at some point.

Thanks for the post Mr. Venson and for pointing out a few more organizations to add to my addiction.

• jrant

Wow, whole new frontier opening up in education.... so exciting.

Thanks for all the links Viktor! I will have to go through these and check out these companies.

I'm curious... which of these areas do you think has the most potential to deliver high quality AND affordable education or learning?

Also, I'm loving what these organizations are doing with Project-Based and DIY Learning. Students retain much more learning by doing rather than learning by lecture.

One company or nonprofit I would add to that list is http://enstituteu.com/

Another writer at good.is wrote about them http://www.good.is/posts/can-this-new-nonprofit-make-apprenticeships-cool-again

Also http://www.uncollege.org/ is doing some cool stuff with DIY learning.

Here's to a promising new year and more education innovation in 2013!

• Ben Goldhirsh

such an inspiring list, Viktor. Thank you for sharing. What do you think about Parent Revolution in terms of innovations in the education space? It has yet to prove its outcome, but with the court ruling on the Adelante case, we've know seen Parent Revolution mobilize parents to take control of a school. I'm eager to see what happens hear and if this also facilitates more of an open environment for parents to pull from these sort of innovations that you've listed above, to further their kids' interests. Anyhow, hope your holidays have been great.

• Viktor Venson

Thanks Ben - Happy holidays to you and yours as well.
      I don't know all that much about Parent Revolution to be honest, but it seems to be a really important platform for parents to get involved. With the Parent Trigger, there seems to be better opportunities for organizations, like Green Dot, to transform poorly performing schools. Having said that, with the power of transformation, comes responsibility. There needs to be clear roadmaps and actions on how to better those schools innovation wise and I think that's where efforts, such as above come into play. I see PR as a key catalyst, their strength will lie in their ability to organize innovations around progressive concepts and enable them in form of partnerships, environment, and funding for innovation to take place. 2013 must be the year of walking the talk.

• Ben Goldhirsh

by "know", i meant "now". and by "hear", I meant "here". yikes.