Discover and share stories

of adventure, connection, and change making.

22 people think this is good

Discuss

1. {{attachment.file.name}}
  1. {{fields.video_link.url}}

Ready to post! You’ve uploaded the maximum number of images.

Your video is ready to post!

Oops! Nice pic, but it’s just not our (file) type. Please try uploading a .jpg or .png image.

Well, this is embarrassing. Something went wrong when posting your comment. Care to try again?

That image is too large. Maximum size is 6MB.

Please enter a valid URL from YouTube or Vimeo.

Embedding has been disabled for this video.

{{c.errors.other}}

Posting comment...

• Jeff Nelder

Great rumination on what many regard as the key tenet of design thinking. Really interesting when you think about the different ways icons of design thinking approach prototyping...think about the late Mr. Jobs and his approach at Apple...conflict?

• pilar saura

Hi Jeff,
      I believe that Jobs is an icon of Design Thinking.
      Here is a great example: The “Michael Dell” Meeting" in 1997. Michael Dell had been asked "what he would do if he was running Apple Computer". (At the time, Dell was the ultimate success story in the PC industry.) Dell said that he would liquidate the company and return the cash to shareholders.

Steve got on stage and shared his vision:

"And you know what? He’s right.

The world doesn’t need another Dell or HP. It doesn’t need another manufacturer of plain, beige, boring PCs. If that’s all we’re going to do, then we should really pack up now.

But we’re lucky, because Apple has a purpose. Unlike anyone in the industry, people want us to make products that they love. In fact, more than love. Our job is to make products that people lust for. That’s what Apple is meant to be".

Please consider this words back in 1997: "people want us....."
      Amazing!

http://blog.adamnash.com/2011/10/10/steve-jobs-bmw-ebay/

• Jeff Nelder

Agreed- but was the general approach that Jobs would observe first or work to define what people would 'lust after'?

• pilar saura

Always VISION first....
          Mixing "lust" and "computer" in the same sentence is a contradiction in itself: It was a revolutionary-concept-association.

By the way, creativity is needed to imagine a future scenario (vision) and it's also needed to translate it step by step from concept to reality.

• pilar saura

Hi,
      I like the concept of "regular exercises" as of "exercising creative thinking".

Take a look at this great manifesto title: "The art of making things by happen. That's hustle". by Clifton Burt
      It think is awesome and inspiring.
      http://www.brckt.com/volume-05/

• Adele Peters

I'm a big proponent of human-centered design as well. I think my own definition of design thinking would probably include a simple explanation of the design process. This is really a slippery term to define. I think IDEO, one of the first proponents of the phrase, would probably include technological and business viability as other constraints along with the basic human needs that are being addressed.

• pilar saura

Hi Adele,
      I came up with this definition of Design Thinking because I truly believe that DT must not be constrained to a concrete discipline or field of action by including “technological and business” (too concret).
      My opinion is that a Design Thinking can be applied to any context or field, so, according to this believe (certainty), its definition needs to lead us to broaden all possibilities, including DNA design (IDEO is talking about this, so I don’t think I am that misguided...)

In my new post I will share my theories on this idea-definition.

Thank you for your comment

Pilar

• Lisa Rau Cannon

Cool post, Pilar -- I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. I like the deconstructive process, but could you provide an example of how to apply this?

• pilar saura

Thank you Lisa and I will soon!

Pilar

• Alessandra Rizzotti

Really cool way of thinking with the big picture in mind.

• pilar saura

Thank you Alessandra!
      I am sharing this definition because, after following my personal DT process, this one really "feels" right to me...and it works with the logic of my experiences as a DT practitioner......

Pilar