Discover and share stories

of adventure, connection, and change making.

GOOD

Do

Go for an adventure

Do It

Back

lauren renee

Adventure is a big word. It’s huge and exciting, it’s gigantic and ambitious, it’s spectacular and transformational. Though, adventure can also be short and close by. I’ll be the first to admit—I didn’t always know this.

While I spent one year living in Chicago, I was determined to see all of the important things one is supposed to see—The Bean, The Sears Tower, The John Hancock Center, Navy Pier. These were the things on my list. But I also made a point to explore just where I was. Not every adventure had a landmark waiting at the end or even a single destination. So I recruited an adventuring buddy and we began to take little adventures. The little ones around our neighborhood, short ones into other neighborhoods, adventures on streets and adventures in nature.

Some of the most memorable time that I spent in Chicago was spent on these adventures of seemingly small magnitude. They were devoid of pressure to see the “right” things and they were full of enjoying the moment. Soon, we began to notice the beautiful things that one misses when searching for something particular. We didn’t explore what was ahead of us, but rather, the moment we were presently in.

While mountain-climbing, cross-country-driving, culture-defying adventures may be in our futures, it’s important to go on these other adventures. Go for an adventure around your neighborhood, or maybe someone else’s. Maybe a walk, maybe a run, maybe a detour. Maybe you just keep driving straight when you normally take a left.

Adventuring, at its core, can be done anywhere. Perhaps it does not always need to be done far away from home, or on a beautiful day. Perhaps it’s just about appreciating and learning from something new and different. These little adventures are often good bringers of peace.

There is a time for big adventures, but there is a time for little adventures too.

Comments

1. {{attachment.file.name}}
  1. {{fields.video_link.url}}

Ready to post! You’ve uploaded the maximum number of images.

Your video is ready to post!

Oops! Nice pic, but it’s just not our (file) type. Please try uploading a .jpg or .png image.

Well, this is embarrassing. Something went wrong when posting your comment. Care to try again?

That image is too large. Maximum size is 6MB.

Please enter a valid URL from YouTube or Vimeo.

Embedding has been disabled for this video.

{{c.errors.other}}

Posting comment...

• Alessandra Rizzotti

Love your sentiments, Lauren. It's so important to get out of your comfort zone, even if it's within your own city. Since working in downtown Los Angeles, I've started to go out for lunch and explore the city. I love Pershing Square. Every Wednesday, there's a Farmer's Market. Today, I ran into Homeboy Industries. They empower people formerly in gangs and prisons to bake, make chips, install solar panels, and remove tattoos. I got to support them today because I ran into them on a walk!

• lauren renee

For some reason, I did not see this when you originally posted it... But Homeboy Industries sounds so great! I wonder if there are many organizations like it out there.

I also love the farmer's markets found in little nooks of cities. And you can bet that Pershing Square is going on my list of places to visit.