Discover and share stories

of adventure, connection, and change making.

GOOD

Do

Bike to work

Do It

Back

kate z

My most favorite recent bike to work story was when I was being harassed by a motorist who beeped at me twice and passed me at an unsafe distance, grazing my knee as they sped by. Because they were so focused on me, they failed to see the police car behind them. As soon as I was done hollering at them for my own sake, the police car beeped at them and was busy giving them a ticket as I rolled past.

Felt great knowing that some folks on the PPD are standing up for Philly bikers!

Comments

1. {{attachment.file.name}}
  1. {{fields.video_link.url}}

Ready to post! You’ve uploaded the maximum number of images.

Your video is ready to post!

Oops! Nice pic, but it’s just not our (file) type. Please try uploading a .jpg or .png image.

Well, this is embarrassing. Something went wrong when posting your comment. Care to try again?

That image is too large. Maximum size is 6MB.

Please enter a valid URL from YouTube or Vimeo.

Embedding has been disabled for this video.

{{c.errors.other}}

Posting comment...

• Sam

I really want to start doing this. I've been looking at PUBLIC bikes. Does anyone have any good bike suggestions?

• kate z

Sam, to me when you're bike shopping it's getting something that you feel good riding that's the most important thing. You won't use it otherwise.
        So, test ride bikes first. When you do, watch out for hunching over, feeling cramped, reaching, or having an uncomfortable stand over height--these might indicate a bad fit and a need for a different sized frame. There seems to be a variety of styles of PUBLIC bikes. Which are you thinking? How do you plan to use it, just as a commuter? Do you want something that'll zip you there and back, or something you can carry your groceries home on too?
        Also, I don't know what your living situation is, but keep in mind that your bike will become a piece of furniture in your house. Having a warm and dry space for it that's also accessible can be almost as important as having the bike.

• Sam

Hi Kate!
          I was looking at the diamond frame for easy carry. I plan on using it to commute to work and around town because Atlanta traffic sometimes is terrible on surface streets. I did want to add a back basket + net for groceries (I only buy what I can carry)
          I currently live in an apartment/condo and I have a patio. I would attach a rack to the floor or wall so it would have a place to live.

• Mark Guay

Yes! Happy to hear they stood up for you.

• Steve Mumford

Nice to see justice served. I had an experience yesterday getting crowded in the bike lane when a car service driver squeezed in to get around a delivery van. We exchanged hostile looks, but both managed to ease the tension when we stopped next to one another at a light. He rolled down his window (I'm pretty sure he was going to apologize) and I said, "I'll share if you will." He smiled and we both went back to getting where we were going.