Discover and share stories

of adventure, connection, and change making.

GOOD

Do

Go for an adventure

Do It

Back

Jennifer Iacovelli

I visited Nicaragua in March with WaterAid America to see their work on the ground. I was in awe of the level of poverty and sheer lack of clean water and sanitation, but the people I met were kind and welcoming. I saw women building and maintaining wells for their communities. Moms, like me, who simply wanted to have enough to provide for their children. I met a teenager, who was basically a trained general contractor and supervised men older than her. She was building a bathroom with a toilet and shower, quite the luxury, for a client. I stayed overnight in an indigenous community and ate by the light of my head lamp. It was amazing and showed me how lucky I am to have simple things like running water that I can drink, electricity, and well maintained roads to drive on.

Comments

1. {{attachment.file.name}}
  1. {{fields.video_link.url}}

Ready to post! You’ve uploaded the maximum number of images.

Your video is ready to post!

Oops! Nice pic, but it’s just not our (file) type. Please try uploading a .jpg or .png image.

Well, this is embarrassing. Something went wrong when posting your comment. Care to try again?

That image is too large. Maximum size is 6MB.

Please enter a valid URL from YouTube or Vimeo.

Embedding has been disabled for this video.

{{c.errors.other}}

Posting comment...

• Terri Hammer

Visited Nicaragua two years ago with my husband who is from there. He worked in rural development for 20 years and then consulted for the United Nations on the Atlantic coast for four years. I know what you mean about the gratitude gained for just the very basics. We were in Managua, the capital. Wow, driving was really stressful, even for my husband. We stayed in a beautiful guest house, just south of Managua and spent some time up north in Esteli. Beautiful country and people.

• Pine Watt

Hey Jennifer, loved seeing the pictures and hearing the story. We are blessed to have access to clean water. How did you get connected with WaterAid?