Discover and share stories

of adventure, connection, and change making.

16 others are in

Do It

Please Vote For Me & Help Me Win the $1000 Holstee Fellowship So I Can Build An Urban Swing Park in Dallas

Patrick McDonnell

Dallas, TX
July 10, 2013at 12:00 pm

I’ve had this dream for a while to create an urban swing park! The idea is to turn an empty parking lot into a public space where people of all ages can socialize and play. I believe that getting people to play is one of the best ways to create community and Downtown Dallas needs it badly!

Continue to

1. {{}}
  1. {{fields.video_link.url}}

Ready to post! You’ve uploaded the maximum number of images.

Your video is ready to post!

Oops! Nice pic, but it’s just not our (file) type. Please try uploading a .jpg or .png image.

Well, this is embarrassing. Something went wrong when posting your comment. Care to try again?

That image is too large. Maximum size is 6MB.

Please enter a valid URL from YouTube or Vimeo.

Embedding has been disabled for this video.

Posting comment...

• Shayna Keyles

Absolutely love this. Spreading the word.

• Patrick McDonnell

Shayna, thanks so much! This is super exciting!

• Patrick McDonnell

Thanks Yasha! This is gonna be great. I'm already designing.

• Casey Caplowe

Good stuff Patrick.

You guys are really selling me on Dallas more and more.

• Patrick McDonnell

Thanks Casey! We're only just beginning to scratch the surface. Wait 'til you see what we have planned for July and August!

• Alessandra Rizzotti

I'll include this in Push for Good this weekend! We're now including crowdsourcing- voting, petitioning, mapping, researching, etc.!

• John Wynn

Patrick, as always, a beautiful expression of your vision. One of my oldest and dearest friends now lives in Dallas and I encouraged her to sign up just so she could envision the possibilities around her. Thanks for sharing and good luck.

• Patrick McDonnell

Thanks John. I'm gonna fight really hard to get the fellowship. I'm hoping the a park like this in Deep Ellum will inspire others to create more public spaces in the neighborhood and fill a lot of the empty lots.

• John Wynn

Telling my Dallas connection to share this with all of her friends....

• Patrick McDonnell

Awesome! Yup I'm telling all my Dallas friends today. Sending it out to my national/international friends tomorrow. Voting ends the 10th, but I want to get as much momentum on the front end so we don't have to worry about it later.

• John Wynn

Just got off the phone with my friend Renee...Deep Elum sounds like an awesome area...hoping to visit Dallas in the fall.