Keep cool with a DIY air conditioner
Whether you use this simple homebrewed A/C unit to cool yourself down or to keep a pet comfortable while you’re out, a Styrofoam cooler might be the most ecologically sound purchase you make all summer. You can build this unit for under $15, and, when fall comes, it’ll still hold beer.
- Styrofoam cooler: $3-$10, or reuse an old one
- PVC elbow: $1-$3 at the hardware store
- Small fan: Under $20 on Amazon, or cheap at garage sales
- Cut two holes in the cooler’s lid: One for the PVC elbow and one to fit the face of your fan.
- Insert ice or frozen bottles in the cooler.
- Close cooler, placing PVC elbow and face-down fan in their respective holes.
- Turn on the fan, and point the PVC elbow vent toward where you’d like ice-cold air.
For more details, check out the how-to video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITtlxjvLQis