Discover and share stories

of adventure, connection, and change making.

1 other is in

Do It

educate 130 kids born of rape in eastern DR Congo with no other source of support but this project.

3 rural villages in the Ruzizi Plain of South Kivu, DRC: Rwenena, Luberizi, and Kiliba Sucki

Initiated by 7th graders in Bethesda, Maryland, we found AMCAV - a tiny Congolese NGO helping raped women - in 2010 from personal connections. I teamed up with the director and together we started the only education program for these villages. The kids were stigmatized - stuck at home all day because of their low social status. Since the program began, the communities are realizing these kids are smart and can potentially contribute to their future success. We have no surplus funds; we just raise money for tuition payments and school supplies if possible. After my first visit, I realized these people have no other source of support in the world. You aren't going to find any large NGOs around there. This is very much a grassroots project that depends on the goodwill and caring of others. The mothers are particularly grateful, and the kids know that doing well in school is the key to a better life. Please help out--any donations are appreciated. Go to the Donate tab on my website.

Launch Slideshow

Continue to

1. {{}}
  1. {{fields.video_link.url}}

Ready to post! You’ve uploaded the maximum number of images.

Your video is ready to post!

Oops! Nice pic, but it’s just not our (file) type. Please try uploading a .jpg or .png image.

Well, this is embarrassing. Something went wrong when posting your comment. Care to try again?

That image is too large. Maximum size is 6MB.

Please enter a valid URL from YouTube or Vimeo.

Embedding has been disabled for this video.

Posting comment...