Cool your home with an automated fan
Use IFTTT (If This, Then That) and a WeMo switch to teach your old window fan new tricks. Get the fan going automatically when your home is too hot for comfort, and program it ahead of time to shut off when the temperature drops.
Window or box fan ($30)
Belkin Wemo Switch ($59.99)
WeMo app (free)
IFTTT app (free)
1. Place box or window fan in an open window. Make sure the fan direction is pulling air into the home.
2. Open another window to exhaust indoor air.
3. Connect the fan power to the WeMo Switch.
4. Follow the WeMo Switch setup guide to connect the switch to home wireless router.
5. Install + run the IFTTT app on smartphone.
6. Set up IFTTT recipe to turn on WeMo Switch when outdoor temperature is below desired home temperature. Set up another recipe to turn off WeMo Switch when outdoor temperature is above desired home temperature.